At the opening of Virginia's 1748–49 legislative session, there was a petition submitted in the House of Burgesses on November 1, 1748, that the "inhabitants of Fairfax (Co.) praying that a town may be established at Hunting Creek Warehouse on Potowmack River," as Hugh West was the owner of the warehouse.The petition was introduced by Lawrence Washington (1718–1752), the representative for Fairfax County and, more importantly, the son-in-law of William Fairfax and a founding member of the Ohio Company.To support the company's push for a town on the river, Lawrence's younger brother George Washington, an aspiring surveyor, made a sketch of the shoreline touting the advantages of the tobacco warehouse site.Since the river site was amidst his estate, Philip opposed the idea and strongly favored a site at the head of Hunting Creek (also known as Great Hunting Creek).
Many local tobacco planters, however, wanted a new town further up Hunting Creek, away from nonproductive fields along the river.), was bounded by Hunting Creek, Hooff's Run, the Potomac River, and approximately the line which would become Cameron Street.
The historic center of Alexandria is known as "Old Town".
In 2005, the United States Patent and Trademark Office moved to Alexandria, and in 2017, so did the headquarters of the National Science Foundation.
Please enter the confirmation code in the box below and click "Confirm".
Located along the western bank of the Potomac River, Alexandria is approximately 7 miles (11 km) south of downtown Washington, D. Like the rest of Northern Virginia, as well as Central Maryland, modern Alexandria has been influenced by its proximity to the U. It is the 7th largest and highest-income independent city in Virginia.