Following a lawsuit and a series of landmark decisions, the New Hampshire Supreme Court agreed.
Known as the "Claremont Decision", the suit continues to drive the statewide debate on equitable funding for education, and Claremont continues to play a primary role in this legal challenge.
Sullivan's Machinery division merged with Joy Mining Machinery in 1946, becoming Joy Manufacturing Co.
Its founder, inventor Joseph Francis Joy, stayed on as general manager of the facility.
At the time, public high schools did not exist in New Hampshire.
The state agreed, and decided to offer permission to every town in the state so that every town could establish public high schools.
Before colonial settlement, the Upper Connecticut River Valley was home to the Pennacook and Western Abenaki (Sokoki) peoples, later merging with members of other Algonquin tribes displaced by the wars and famines that accompanied the European settling of the region.
Parts of the campus suffered fires in 19, In the 1850s, the city of Claremont approached the state legislature asking permission to build a public high school.
The city is in western Sullivan County and is bordered to the west by the Connecticut River, the boundary between New Hampshire and Vermont.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 44.1 square miles (114.2 km The Sugar River flows from east to west through the center of Claremont and empties into the Connecticut.
Large brick factories were built along the stream, including the Sunapee Mills, Monadnock Mills, Claremont Machine Works, Home Mills, Sanford & Rossiter, and Claremont Manufacturing Company.
Principal products were cotton and woolen textiles, lathes and planers, and paper.