The primary first-generation Camaro glass supplier to the Camaro assembly plants (both now closed) in Norwood, Ohio and Van Nuys, California was Libbey Owens Ford (LOF).LOF continues to do business as a division of Pilkington and has reissued their old glasses under the name Pilkington Classics.PLEASE NOTE: When filing for registration of a mark, it's required to state on the application when the mark was first put into use.When one desires to suggest a time frame for usage, it's this initial date one should go by, NOT the date when the application was filed or the date registration approval was granted.These latter dates, which have been included below, are to confirm that Imperial did, in fact, secure registration. On December 19, 1901 corporation papers were filed in Ohio County Court House.1901 - On November 7, 1901 affidavits were filed with the Secretary of State of West Virginia for incorporation of the Imperial Glass Company. (Book #5, Folio 132) Unknown Date - No record of application or granting approval has been found at the U. Unknown Patent Office for the NUART mark, so it's unknown if Imperial applied for actual mark registration.Two items produced that day were the 'Minuet Girl' (former Heisey mould) and the 'Dresden Doll' (former Cambridge mould).
PPG marking details remain less well known to CRG, but as of the 27-Feb-2006 release are now briefly covered in the PPG marking appendix.A tertiary supplier of first-generation Camaro glass was Pittsburgh Plate Glass (PPG), which also supplied equivalent glass to the Firebird assembly plant in Lordstown, Ohio.Contractual agreements theoretically allowed GM to purchase from either supplier for either GM division in the event of a shortage at the other supplier, but the only PPG glass use that CRG has verified to date in 1967-68 Camaro is occasional use in 1967 vent window glass.1931 - Facing bankruptcy, the Imperial Glass Company sought to re-organized.Instead, the property and assets were ordered to be sold at auction on July 21, 1931. Ralph Boyd (Secretary-Treasurer of the Imperial Glass Company) who was the sole bidder.This graphic design appears in advertising and catalogs. The NUART letters appear on iridized light shades and also on items from Imperial's early Iridescent Art Glass line.1911- On the registration application for the NUCUT mark, Imperial claimed to have been using this mark as early as 1911.The application was filed March 17, 1913 and approval was granted on September 15, 1914.From all accounts, the marks appear to have been used in combination.Registration Approvals were granted on June 2, 1914.1914 - When registering for the 'Double I' ( 'Iron Cross' ) mark, the Company stated it had been in use since January 12, 1914.While certain aspects of the marking systems of these two suppliers have long been public knowledge in the Camaro restoration world, the Camaro Research Group (CRG) has found, after much research, that there is much more to be understood about how original first-generation Camaro glass was marked by the suppliers.We were fortunate to be able to access the expertise of supplier experts for much of this.